When running e-commerce, one of the biggest challenges is to reach your target audience and let them know about your products and offers. Customer acquisition and raising brand awareness are extremely important for the success of any e-commerce, no matter its size or industry. This is why you have to invest your efforts into making your business more visible, interesting, and successful. And, one of the ways to make it all happen is through copywriting.
Copywriting can boost your e-commerce conversion rates and help you stand out from your competitors. If you're not sure how it all works or what makes this strategy such a great idea - just keep reading. We've broken it down for you so that you learn about all the different ways copywriting improves your conversion rates and thus your sales.
Let's take a closer look.
1. Building Trust: Product Descriptions
Having more visitors on your site won't necessarily boost your conversion rates. It's crucial to have them on your website, but the steps you take after that are what matters the most.
So, you should use your copywriting skills to build trust with potential customers and show them you're a brand worth their attention.
Writing high-quality product descriptions is one of the ways to do it. Why? Because people want to know as much as possible about the product you're offering to make a purchasing decision.
So, here’s what makes a high-quality product description:
- it’s well organized and divided into sections e.g. key features, materials, application, size.
- it mentions the pain points it solves.
- it illustrates the benefits of using the product.
- it comes with visual elements such as images and videos.
When writing a product description, you must provide facts and speak from a customer's perspective. Give them the information they need, and they’ll be more willing to shop from you than from someone else.
2. Brand Discovery: Blogging
To boost conversion rates, you need to have more people interacting with your e-commerce website and learning about your products. Copywriting can help you reach out to more people and get your message across more successfully.
Blogging is one of the best ways to turn an everyday internet search into an introduction to your brand. That's why your e-commerce website should include a blog section that will:
- share highly valuable and informative content
- cover topics your potential customers will be interested in
- answer their questions and solve their problems
If you need more inspiration on the topics to cover, read more content yourself. You can see pages with writing samples and get inspired on what to write and how to do it. Explore and find the topics that work best for your e-commerce.
Naturally, your blog should be aimed at your specific target audience. Let's say you're an e-commerce selling baby equipment and accessories. Your target audience is young parents, but mostly women aged 25-45. Your blog covers topics such as:
- How to Choose the Best Baby Stroller This Spring.
- 6 Types of Breast Pumps You Should Know About.
- How To Breastfeed Like a Pro Mama.
If your content is relatable, informative, and SEO optimized, you’ll have your target audience looking through your products before you know it. And that’s a major step towards boosting your conversion rates.
3. Driving Decisions: Urgency
Creating a sense of urgency is one of the most powerful ways to make a customer place an order. It’s extremely efficient for boosting conversion rates, and that’s why it’s on our list.
So, what does it mean to use urgency in your e-commerce copywriting? It's simple:
- you create content describing unique offers,
- you set an expiration date to that offer,
- you use a CTA to invite your customers to make a decision ASAP.
Here's an example:
- you're an e-commerce selling kids' toys, games, and equipment;
- you write a recession on one of the children’s pools you’re selling;
- you offer a 20% discount to customers who buy it by noon that day;
- you share it via blog, social media post, or email with a clickable CTA saying “Get Your Pool Today by Noon!”.
You could use additional tricks such as creating a ticking timer showing how much time's left or how many pools are left. You could use push notifications titled “Hurry Up: Get Your Kids the Pool They Always Wanted With 20% Discount!”. Check out PushPushGo to set up web push notifications easily.
4. Educating: Tutorials & How-To Content
You need to look at your customers as people who like to think twice before they spend their money on products they see online. To do that, they need to be truly convinced the product is a good fit for them.
A whopping 90% of people find content that isn’t personally relevant to them to be annoying. This is why educating your customers about the topics they personally care for can be such a smart move to make. Educational content comes in all shapes and forms:
- blog posts offering tips and tricks
- interviews with experts and respected industry influencers
- tutorials & how-to videos
For instance, if you're e-commerce selling home accessories, you can create a video titled "DIY: 8 Simple Steps to Redecorate Your Kitchen”. In the video, you’ll explain how some of your products are used and can be applied at home.
Educational content will also boost your credibility and help you get backlinks. It'll make your e-commerce more trustworthy and show you know what you're doing. This will result in a higher conversion rate.
5. Evoking Emotions
Finally, there's one last thing you can do with your copywriting skills to boost your e-commerce conversion rate. Sharing content that evokes a certain type of emotion might trigger the right purchasing decisions with potential customers.
Here’s what you can do:
- use storytelling and make your products a part of them,
- share customers stories,
- share user-generated content.
Use this content to inspire and motivate people to become a part of your brand's story as well. Emotions will boost your conversion rate significantly.
Copywriting is more than putting the right keywords in the right format. It’s about knowing your target audience and recognizing their needs and preferences. Once you learn how to do it, you can expect better conversion rates and more sales.
Use the list we've shared above to boost your copywriting efforts and improve your conversion rate significantly.